Monday, March 08, 2010

thoughts on a clear and chilly evening...

I'm sitting here working on this blog while listening to The Tempest, by Beethoven (wonder how long THAT takes to learn how to play? If you're me, a really, really long time), and watching the news on mute.
I also had a sudden flash of memory from when I was a kid. My mom played me this incredible Bach tune that was entirely synthesized on a Moog synthesizer. She told me that it was 100% electronic, and that the dude who did it (Walter Carlos) was now a woman who went by Wendy Carlos. I thought about that one for awhile, I can tell you! The part about him being a her, I mean.
Anyway...I happened to glance up in time to see a story about the Iraqi elections. The correspondent was filming Iraqi citizens trying to vote, as a backdrop to his narrative. They showed a young man trying to cast his ballot; he glanced up at the camera for a brief moment, looking tired beyond his years and utterly hopeless. Then, they showed an elderly man trying to make his way to vote, and getting stopped and searched by guards. The expression on his face was indescribable.
I felt such a sense of shame and sorrow that I could hardly keep it together. I wanted to weep, and scream - begging for forgiveness from these people, this incredible culture, that was simply obliterated - in my name, with my tax dollars. For no reason! No reason except greed. These people never attacked us, had no part in 9/11, never were a threat to this country.
I feel such nausea and revulsion, and am so ashamed on behalf of the sociopaths that now operate with carte blanche under the moniker "United States". I don't know who these amoral cretins are, but they're not us. They can't be. They didn't used to be. This evil empire can't be what generations of my people died for in battle! Can it? Please don't say this mess is what our ancestors died for!
God help us.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jefferson's Guardian said...

There's no doubt this country, the late great United States of America, which had such potential, such high expectations as the beacon of true freedom and justice in the world, has been hijacked and taken prisoner in a masterful coup d' état of the highest order. Not even Hollywood could have written such an elaborate and unbelievable script.

As Chris Hedges says in his opening paragraph from yesterday's poignant and emotionally moving article, "There are no constraints left to halt America’s slide into a totalitarian capitalism. Electoral politics are a sham. The media have been debased and defanged by corporate owners. The working class has been impoverished and is now being plunged into profound despair. The legal system has been corrupted to serve corporate interests. Popular institutions, from labor unions to political parties, have been destroyed or emasculated by corporate power. And any form of protest, no matter how tepid, is blocked by an internal security apparatus that is starting to rival that of the East German secret police. The mounting anger and hatred, coursing through the bloodstream of the body politic, make violence and counter-violence inevitable. Brace yourself. The American empire is over. And the descent is going to be horrifying."

I think it's time to either heed Mr. Hedges advice, and resist; or pull-up stakes, like Joe Bageant, and get the hell out before all chaos breaks loose. The decision to resist is as individually crafted and personal as the number of stars visible in the sky at night, but I'm going to remain and resist as long as I can and fight the good fight. Once I realize there's absolutely no chance, that the predictable possibility has turned into the inevitable probability, I'm getting out. I don't know, quite yet, where I'm going, but I'll be leaving. But, before then, there's plenty that everyone can do. For instance, on March 20th, there's a large demonstration planned in Washington D.C. Be there (or be square)! ;-)

10:15 PM  
Blogger Jefferson's Guardian said...

By the way, I didn't realize Walter Carlos was no longer a Walter. I had that album. It was called Switched-On Bach and it was a pioneering venture in converting "classical music" into the experimental synthesized music that was popular in progressive rock at the time.

Great album!

4:30 AM  
Blogger Feral Blonde said...

The Hedges piece really struck a chord of truth in me. Thanks so much for that link!

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home