Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Don't Feed Your Animals ANYTHING from China!

You might be surprised at how many dog and cat treats (and toys) are made in China. Whether it's a cheapy dollar store or a higher-end pet supply store, check out the labels. Especially the "jerky treats" kind of animal snacks. Remember a few years back, all that crap pet food from China that was contaminated with melamine? Thousands of animals died from that.

People have been losing their beloved companion animals at an alarming rate, and still the FDA hasn't pulled the suspect items from the shelves. And the stores that carry them sure aren't posting any warnings! What the hell?? Why is the gubmint enabling this toxic crap?!

Food and Water Watch shares this:
According to Rita, "Heidi was a happy and healthy 8-year-old German Shepherd on May 23, 2012 when I gave her just two chicken jerky dog treats as a 'special' treat. Within two days she became ill, vomiting and diarrhea and lethargy, refusing all food but drinking water excessively. On Memorial Day, May 28, 2012, Heidi died a horrific death in my arms. The void her passing has left in my life is almost unbearable. I live alone and Heidi was my constant companion, my loyal friend, my fierce protector."

Rita's not alone in experiencing an incredible loss from what should have been a "treat" for her dog. Despite the flood of reports of dogs dying from imported dog treats going back as far as 2007, the FDA has done nothing to fix the problem.
Unfortunately, these pet treats are likely just the tip of the iceberg. We know that the FDA has a poor track record of ensuring the safety of food from China for people and pets. Help make sure this doesn't happen to more pets or people by contacting the FDA today.

Just like Heidi, Terie’s dog BJ was healthy and active. Similarly to Rita, Terie’s husband fed BJ some chicken jerky from a new bag and “by the next day [BJ] was extremely sick, slurping water constantly and vomiting. When we got to the vet the next morning he was in kidney failure, liver failure, and acute pancreatitis. The vet told me not to expect a good outcome. He was critical...My less than 3-year-old healthy dog had died 4 days after getting a bad 'treat.'”


If you can't find any non-Chinese dog jerky, just buy the human versions - the non-spiced kind, obviously. Often they're actually cheaper, and many are clearly labeled as made in the U.S. I would also skip any foreign catnip, and any that isn't labeled organic, for that matter. I started making my own simple cat and dog  toys a few years back, when I first tried to find toys that were American-made. It was impossible, except online. This is insane!

Let's speak up to store managers and demand a better selection of American-made goods. I'd rather pay a little more and have something that's made domestically, and I know I'm not alone in that.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jefferson's Guardian said...

"...and I know I'm not alone in that."

Anna, I totally agree. I've been on a "buy American" crusade for the last few years. I'll pay a few extra dollars to do so.

As far as "Chinese food", I wouldn't put any edible product in my mouth -- much less give it to my cats. If Purina, or any of the other major pet food producers ever decide to make their products overseas, I'll switch to the higher cost domestically-made brands.

The laissez-faire nature of Chinese capitalism reminds me of what our nation went through at the turn of the industrial era. No regulations, no pollution restrictions, no labeling, no anything except "consumer consumes or uses at own risk". This is what the libertarian movement wants to return to.

Crazy, huh?

5:00 PM  
Blogger Anna Van Z said...

Totally nuts! This is one of the reasons people WANT a government - safety shouldn't be up to the whims of the greedy and ruthless.

7:02 PM  
Blogger Anna Van Z said...

P.S. I'm so sick of cheap crap from China in general I could projectile vomit for days.

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home