Tuesday, November 01, 2011

What's your number, baby?

You may have heard over the past few days that the global population has now reached 7 billion people - well, homo sapiens, anyway. I don't know if we can count folks like Dick Cheney, the Koch brothers, Dubya, etc. as people!

Do you wonder how, or where you fit into to this spinning mass of humanity? Many of whom are clearly just overgrown, aggressive, bad-tempered chimps with better tools?

Well, now you can find out what number your birth was out of that 7 billion. I found out I was the 2,979,800,793rd person born on this planet. And? Do I get a free beer? I also found out that while I was on the BBC site figuring this out, the world's population grew by 1,028 people. Yikes - I was only on there a few minutes!

If you don't think this is getting to be huge problem in terms of resources and carrying capacity, well, you would be wrong. The site says that "the richest countries consume double the resources used by the rest of the world. The UN estimates that if current population and consumption trends continue, by the 2030s we will need the equivalent of two Earths to support us."

Anyone know where that other Earth is?

3 Comments:

Blogger Jefferson's Guardian said...

Well, this lifetime, I'm number 2,636,209,606, which eyeballing indicates I'm within one standard deviation of the mean.

Does that make me expendable? Or not?

How's that work?

3:40 PM  
Blogger Anna Van Z said...

More tigers, more elephants, more lions, less people.
Way less.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Jefferson's Guardian said...

I'm not sure whether the earth will ever again see an abundance of lions, and tigers and bears (oh my!), but I have a feeling the wheels are in motion to make certain your last thought comes to pass.

5:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home