Sunday, November 06, 2011

hmmm...

Oh no! The first evening this fall w/ darkness at 5:50pm....Ugh! I'm no fan of DST, but I'm also no fan of darkness when I get done with work. Because then I have no light to do MY work outside. I'm going to see if I can juggle my hours some, hopefully free up a little light at the end of the day. Fortunately, I just remembered I have one of those nifty LED headband lights I picked up at the Nantahala Outdoor Center this past summer.

On another subject, the network television stations have been announcing a nationwide Emergency Broadcast System drill on November 9th. It's a project of FEMA and the FCC. It will take place on every channel broadcasting, and last for three minutes. The purpose of the announcement is to inform and reassure the public that "this is just a drill"...blah, blah. Anyway, I didn't recall there having been a national broadcast test before, so I did a little digging and found that this test is the first of its kind.

“People are used to hearing the brief weekly and monthly state tests with their familiar tones,” said Karole White President/CEO of the Michigan Association of Broadcasters (MAB). “However, this time the alert will be on all channels at once.”

The test will be on all radio, television, cable, satellite, U-verse and Verizon television delivery systems, as well as satellite radio. The Nov. 9 test will be different than people are used to hearing. The test will be slightly over three minutes. The national test will carry the Emergency Activation Notification (EAN) code..." More here.

So I wonder what this test is about, why it includes all broadcasts, why now, etc. The article linked above relays that it's merely a diagnostic tool to determine weaknesses in the system, but at the risk of sounding wildly skeptical, if the government said the sky was blue I'd go outside and check.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jon said...

We NEED this test to make sure the SAPs (Stupid American Public) is properly scared!

Don't forget! Barry and Bush (maybe that's a new strain of fruit from Monsanto? Barrybush?) have kept us safe from foreign attack for 10 years now and since no one has attacked us, the need for fear by the SAPs is waning! Time to reinforce that fear.

And if it doesn't, then maybe there'll be another real attack.

On another note, while we're completely safe(?) from foreign attack because of BarryBush, they make no concerns about domestic attacks.

Those should come about the time Occupy can't be controlled by Corporate America any longer.

It's 1962 all over again...Duck and Cover, Baby!

FT

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home